I Want A Cat T-Shirt


British Accent: Wow.




"Got to say, Harry Potter just doesn't cut it."
That statement crossed my mind while watching this movie (out a few years back
But I think I want to blog about it since I'm clueless what to post now):
Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging.
Why did I think that?
If you ever watch this particular chick-flick (way too obvious from the title), the only reason is:






Aaron Johnson.
Whom I claim as the British version of Logan Lerman.
Is your mouth gaping?
Close it.

Let's start off the review:

Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging 4.2 Star Review
By Ashiqin M.


I am a sporting fan of romantic comedy---mostly for the comedy (slapstick, irony, witty…you name it), but chick-flicks aren't really my preferred entre of movie genre I couldn't live without.
Also, chick-flicks had recalling clichés repeated over and over again that I'm pretty down with the Main Idea:


The movie starts off with an Average Girl with Clueless Parents (Horrible Siblings, if any) with Best Friends Forever that help her through the 'conundrum institute that teenagers were sent to be robotically obedient to parents, teachers, local authorities aka people who suck named school'. At school, the Average Girl has to face Unbelievably Psychotic or Severus Snape-like Teachers, The Bully/ies and the Popular Girls (they come in droves of blonde, minis and perfume).

Then one faithful, glorious, oh-so-I-didn't-see-this-one-coming day, the New Guy comes.
And he isn't just Any Guy.
He is a Ridiculously Hot New Guy. Who is sensitive.
As the Average Girl gives a look-over (a super slow motion look over: covering his stylish shoes to long legs to nice bum to large hands to broad shoulders to perfect smile to dreamy eyes to the tip of his fabulously Hollywood hair with a smooth-sexy oh-yeahh tune playing) and eventually fell head over heels in love with Ridiculously Hot New Guy. Who is sensitive.

The plot can vary up till this point but it would majorly go like this:

. Ridiculously Hot New Guy got snatched by the Supreme Leader of Popular Girls.
. Average Girl got sad and planned The Scheme with her Best Friends Forever to win Ridiculously Hot New Guy back.
. The Scheme worked and a Small OMG moment happened (RHNG notice/kiss/hug/whatever that makes girls squeal  AG)
. Something SUPER WRONG happens because of The Scheme and AG loses all:  RHNG, BFF and perhaps even the respect of Unbelievably Psychotic or Severus Snape-like Teachers and Clueless Parents.
. Then AG realizes her Mistake and Revamp Herself to later Confess & Make Up to everyone.
. Everybody was fine with that and all of them Hug In Total Phew That That Was Over and We Girlfriends Stick With Each Other AWWW GROUP HUG!
. AG is super positive and thinks started looking up.
. Finally, RHNG forgives AG and told AG that he dumped the Supreme Leader of Popular Girls.
. And Ridiculously Hot New Guy, though he could do SO much better, get together with Average Girl because he likes her "just the way she is".
. And the movie ends with them together blissfully enjoying each others company with a soft, optimistic love song playing in the background.



And that pretty much was how that movie ended too.
But here's the thing:
I'm okay that it ended it like that.
I even like that movie.
Why? Aaron Johnson?
Well, no.
(At least not completely.)


I give it a solid 4.2 Star in my book because well, I could have given it less but I don't want to. I thought it deserves more. Perhaps it's my romantic side that piques my interest for this movie. It was a well-made chick flick.


   There was an appraisable good choice of casting. And yes, it IS because most of the men in this movie were very good looking. RHNG, Robbie, played by Aaron Johnson, Brother of RHNG, Tom (good looks run in the family, so I see), Friend of RHNG, Zack (RHNGs attract Good Looking Best Friends That Average Girl Could Play Coy With) and finally the (sadly) gay Hired Builder Man, Jem that spends half of his working hours shirtless. Ooh-la-la.
And no, it doesn't stop with the face: they got talent. Real Acting Talent. (Unlike this one popular movie. Ehem ehem.)
To add the sprinkling cherry on top of the already big cherry to caramel sundae of what is Aaron Johnson's Resume, he plays bassist. In a band. Not a makeup one, a real one.
And just so you know, I do have a thing for bassist (not vocalist, guitarist or drummer. Bassist.)
[ Advertising 'Visit www.firstband.com ' in the starting of the film could get some songs download for the band. Smart marketing, Music Company. ]


  Another thing to smile about this movie is the choice of tracks in it.
As a movie with a target audience of 12-18 years old (I assume), underscores play quite an important role of 'setting the mood' to a certain scene. And being in the group of target audience, I say I was quite impressed. The songs played were light, hearty and appropriate for chick flicks (I was most captivated by the song in the pebble beach that goes, if I'm not mistaken, 'with heart-shaped bruises and rain-light kisses'.)


Lastly, the shots where the scenes were taken were if not averagely beautiful but almost poetically photographic. Some that still lingers in my mind were the pebble beach (with the pleasing sound of rocks scrunching under your feet), the park with the fountain (where shirtless guys play soccer right next to---score!), the cold beach (the best kind for me: it's cold that you just have to dip your toes in the sea and shiver and aimlessly explore the grey land) and the rainy school grounds (with Robbie's rain-drenched hair perfectly matted to his pale, disappointed face. A breath-taking sight.)


   Even the ending was reminiscent of my favorite indie movie, King of California: a slow higher camera view of the sea-side in the evening. All in the pink, intimate glow of the sunset with a song that hums wonderingly about the surprises life has in store for us who are not expecting. I always think a perfectly sound movie is one with a memorable ending that make you a little dew-eyed and hint of smile on the lips. And this one got it.


This movie is especially for the loyal fans of chick-flicks.
Nothing more, nothing less.

I need an 'Angus Rocks' T-shirt with the cat on it D:


  | to skeptical readers, NO, I do not call for Aaron Johnson. He is a free man. |